Thursday, November 10, 2005

First days

It's cold. That much I can say for sure. It's cold.
Was incredibly impressed by myself initially when i got here - what with the lack of notable jetlag and handling the cold well and all. And then yesterday happened. It was ok as long as I was in the house but anytime i stepped out onto the back-porch even it was cold. And it feels strange seeing the sun shine brightly and it being cold. In the evening went with S.ettan to get M from a friend's house and then take her to Music class. It was nice being out and about. And then we went to the grocery store. That was fun. I did try my best not to keep looking around in amazement at all the stuff. Will have to do that on my next trip - there's a trip to the Mall planned for today so let's see how that goes. Didn't see Chips Ahoy in red packaging though
:)
Need to work on TRC stuff too. Can't be a lazy ass anymore. Need to get off my butt to be competetive here - just a general life-lesson...not talking about TRC alone.
I have a nice room here. It's actually above the front door so I have a view across the road. A nice lil wood-ish house opposite. And it flies the American flag, and has a lil bench on the front porch.The colours are really nice to see...and watching the leaves fall is fun too. Nature is so beautiful everywhere.Managed to speak to P and play phone tag with N. Need to slowly get in touch with the others here. The only thing is I can't commit to any sorta plans coz I need to okay it with my cousin first and also any plan for later in the month is subject to what rotation I'm placed in at HMS and whether I get time off for Thanksgiving or not.
Ok...now to bactrack a little bit. My flight from Frankfurt to Newark was nicer than the first leg - 'cept for the food. Never have a Hindu meal in the air this far from home. The bread was awful and the supari - made in Germany. No need to say anymore. But it was a nicer leg coz it was in the daytime and could kinda see outta the window. And most importantly I had the 2seats next to me free. Was in the middle block of 4 seats-in the aisle seat. I did get quite stressed out about port-of-entry and stuff especially when we had to fill the immigration and Customs forms on air itself. So it took some effort to quell the rising panic. Landed and it was fun. Immigration was a breeze - got 6months. Yay! Customs not a problem. Got my baggage easily and paid $3 for a trolley.
So after all of that I head out to the exit and then I see a bunch of familiar faces. Km and S and Rg,N1 and lil Ro. But apparently they weren't quite looking at where I was coming from coz I saw R&fam move to one side looking and Km was left straight in my line of vision and I kept waving like a retard...to no avail. Basically until I came out thru the doors into the lobby area she hadn't a clue. I have a feeling I could've sneaked up and stood next to her for a while and she might not have known. :) Was so so nice to see familiar faces after the long journey. Got a Starbucks coffee too...well actually a tea. But yay. My first real taste of America. Hehe. Spent some time there and then they decided to record this moment for posterity and took some pics of me with luggage. I'm sure Ash will have something FOB-ish to say about it.
Stepped out to the carpark,..and I don't quite know how I felt. Right now I dunno why but I'm feeling a lil emotionmal about that moment. The moon was a beautiful crescent and the sky was clear. A lil nip in the air. And then looking back at the airport - it looked nice. The whole setting. Had my cam in my backpack but didn't take any pics. That's a pity. Especially since I always seem to be taking moon pics.
Got home and it was so nice seeing everyone there. J and fam and KMn also joined there. SO basically I got a full-blown NJ reception. All the cousins in the state were there. Was really really nice - can't stress that enough. I don't think anyone int he history of my family has had such an arrival in the U.S. Not saying that conceitedly but just so incredibly thankfully. It was so nice of everyone to come. Can't say that enough.
Think I might be a tad constipated. Think I should've bought a larger size among all the wollens. Feel so fat here for some reason. Maybe the constipation. Taking it easy with the food too coz wanna ease into it. The warm stuff's keeping me warm for the most part. My toes were ready to fall off last night when we went shopping. And this morning it's my feet and hands. Ah well. Get used to it honey.Welcome to the U.S. of A.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home