Rang de Basanti
This was a difficult movie. I really, really liked it. It had a message and unlike many movies past, it didn't always try and shove the message down your throat. The performances were good. It wasn't just an Aamir vehicle and I think they all had good sizeable parts. I liked the guy from Boys - thought he did a good job. Of course they had to go all hindi filmi ishtyle on my ass at the end and wake Waheeda Rehman ou of her coma when the baddies were killed. But I guess that's an occupational hazard of making a hindi film. Thought it was made quite shlickly and the graphics used early on in a few scenes were a lil SinCity reminiscent.
The music was different and at the same time so trademark-ily Rahman. It worked well in the movie and was used to good effect I thought. Except for the one song that seemed a little out of place in the beginning.
So the reason why i thought this movie was difficult is coz it caused me to look at things in my own life and my own situation currently. I am indeed getting soft in my old age and allow movies to move me/make me think more, than before. I hasten to add that I do not cry at them - but I do think about doing so. The theme that ordinary people can do things to change the situation around them, if they do not like what they see, is a nice idealistic one. And especially for our generation I feel we have oft lost sight of what it means to be who we are and enjoy the rights and freedoms we do. The question of laying one's life down for the country is not something I want to get into at this point. What it takes for one to come to such a decision and what constitutes an important enough cause is very individualistic. But what is true is that we as a people have become complacent to things we see around us and the wrong we see happen. We take it to be a part of life in India and then bitch about it. What can be done? I wish I knew - but I don't have the answers. But at the same time I know I haven't looked hard enough for an answer, nor long enough.
The theatre was silent at the end of the movie and was devoid of the usual hustle and bustle at the conclusion of a screening. And I was indeed silent myself, lost in my thoughts. I did honestly feel that it would be nice to do something, to change things, the way things are and what needs to be done to make such a change. Politicians going scot-free for crimes they have committed are everyday occurences and things like moral responsibility are now seemingly unheard of commodities. And that is sad. But what struck me the most was that for the next 4 years of my life at least, I'm not going to be in my country. I think this movie somehow on some level served to really drive that message home for me. 4 years of living on my own, living my own life. This is what I want, I know. This is what is good for me on so many levels both personal and professional, I do know. But at the same time it means 4 years away from the people I love and while I've known that all along I guess I now KNOW it more. I'm going to be away from all that's familiar. That excites me and thats how I've been looking at it till now and I know that will be the main emotion I feel when I start my Residency. But that's going to be a sea-change for me. I'm not going to be up-to-date on what's happening in India - internet notwithstanding. Its going to be difficult keeping in touch with folks - especially in the gruelling first year of residency. I won't know what the new movies are, who India just beat in cricket, who the Chief Minister of Assam is. These are not vital to my life, to my existence and will seem trivial and silly to most...but they are a part of who I am. Of who I have been all these years. That is a change that I've only now begun to comprehend. And I've been so used to being around family too. And them around me. And I just don't know how that's going to be.
When Ash left in '02, my grandmom had just passed away a few months prior. For the house to go from having 6 people to just 4 was a hard thing to deal with. Numbers don't seem important, but they do affect you albeit it on a more subconscious level I guess. Its a good thing Ash is back now - now when its time for me to go.
And it is really time for me to go. 25 and a half years.
Roobaroo.
The music was different and at the same time so trademark-ily Rahman. It worked well in the movie and was used to good effect I thought. Except for the one song that seemed a little out of place in the beginning.
So the reason why i thought this movie was difficult is coz it caused me to look at things in my own life and my own situation currently. I am indeed getting soft in my old age and allow movies to move me/make me think more, than before. I hasten to add that I do not cry at them - but I do think about doing so. The theme that ordinary people can do things to change the situation around them, if they do not like what they see, is a nice idealistic one. And especially for our generation I feel we have oft lost sight of what it means to be who we are and enjoy the rights and freedoms we do. The question of laying one's life down for the country is not something I want to get into at this point. What it takes for one to come to such a decision and what constitutes an important enough cause is very individualistic. But what is true is that we as a people have become complacent to things we see around us and the wrong we see happen. We take it to be a part of life in India and then bitch about it. What can be done? I wish I knew - but I don't have the answers. But at the same time I know I haven't looked hard enough for an answer, nor long enough.
The theatre was silent at the end of the movie and was devoid of the usual hustle and bustle at the conclusion of a screening. And I was indeed silent myself, lost in my thoughts. I did honestly feel that it would be nice to do something, to change things, the way things are and what needs to be done to make such a change. Politicians going scot-free for crimes they have committed are everyday occurences and things like moral responsibility are now seemingly unheard of commodities. And that is sad. But what struck me the most was that for the next 4 years of my life at least, I'm not going to be in my country. I think this movie somehow on some level served to really drive that message home for me. 4 years of living on my own, living my own life. This is what I want, I know. This is what is good for me on so many levels both personal and professional, I do know. But at the same time it means 4 years away from the people I love and while I've known that all along I guess I now KNOW it more. I'm going to be away from all that's familiar. That excites me and thats how I've been looking at it till now and I know that will be the main emotion I feel when I start my Residency. But that's going to be a sea-change for me. I'm not going to be up-to-date on what's happening in India - internet notwithstanding. Its going to be difficult keeping in touch with folks - especially in the gruelling first year of residency. I won't know what the new movies are, who India just beat in cricket, who the Chief Minister of Assam is. These are not vital to my life, to my existence and will seem trivial and silly to most...but they are a part of who I am. Of who I have been all these years. That is a change that I've only now begun to comprehend. And I've been so used to being around family too. And them around me. And I just don't know how that's going to be.
When Ash left in '02, my grandmom had just passed away a few months prior. For the house to go from having 6 people to just 4 was a hard thing to deal with. Numbers don't seem important, but they do affect you albeit it on a more subconscious level I guess. Its a good thing Ash is back now - now when its time for me to go.
And it is really time for me to go. 25 and a half years.
Roobaroo.

2 Comments:
Idealism and passion are essential to effect change but not enough. Idealism and passion can certainly begin things, but that is all that they can do. They don't really bring fruitition to changes one wants.
For real changes to take place, lot of things are needed. First of all, as an individual you should have has time to know yourself, experience life and through that experience should have built your convictions that will not budge in the face of adversity. That means you need time to be alone, deal with life without the familiarity of family and sometimes even the country.
You need education and qualifications. As a young guy you have energy, but as a doctor you truly have the skills to be able to save and improve people's lives. You are here to hone your skills. That is nothing to feel guilty about.
In four or five years when you go back, you'll have the earning power to situate your family comfortably, and have enough to give back to the community. If you didn't take the opportunity to come here, then you would be too busy just surviving day to day and wouldn't really have the time to work towards changing the society.
And while you are here, if you choose to, then you will know about the new movies as soon as they come out, the desktop ticker will show the latest scores for any cricket match in the world, updating every half hour and you'll hear and read about all the coups and scandals that take place. Only if you choose to though. They won't be all around you, there will be a difference, but you will have a choice to stay in touch.
Blog On!!
D
My feelings were a little different when I went away. Looking back, I think I was running away. I'm glad I did though because along the way, I managed to find myself. Not that I've figured out everything yet, but at least I've made a start. And that's more than I had done in the previous 25 years. Leaving is never easy to do. Some people think more about the people they left behind than others.
You're not running away from anything. And, as anonymous said, you will have the choice of keeping in touch or keeping abreast of news from home. But that will not be the sole focus of your stay there.
Now is the time for you to go find yourself. It might be scary, it will definitely be hard. But I can tell you one thing: it will be worth it.
Spread your wings, Country Mouse. Fly.
(Yes, yes, I know, mice don't fly...not in the real world anyway...but in my head, it's a happy place!!)
The Dragon.
Post a Comment
<< Home